Why Serverless and fourTheorem?
We believe serverless has the power to pave the way for extraordinary technology-led business transformation. We’ve reached an inflection point that requires businesses to dramatically accelerate cloud migration and modernise in order to seed the foundations for end-to-end digital transformation.
Technology choice matters and the technology landscape is changing fast…. Modern Application Development is about the right combination of the latest technologies and practices. Increasingly, this means the adoption of serverless technology.
At fourTheorem, we believe that the business case for serverless is clear. It enables organisations to focus more on business value and less on undifferentiated technical ‘busy work’, whilst reducing operational costs, management overhead and shortening development lifecycles.
Serverless represents an industry shift to truly commoditised, utility computing. We are expert at architecting, developing and supporting serverless systems on the AWS Cloud. We default to Serverless to reduce complexity – but we don’t dictate it. Talk to us and we’ll help figure out the best approach for your business.
AWS Advanced Tier Consulting Partner
We are AWS MAP-compliant.
With Serverless expertise.
Realising the benefits of serverless comes with its own challenges. A lot of learning and decision making is required to get a production-grade system deployed and running on AWS.
This is why we develop and maintain:
Our experience and insight mean we can work with you to innovate much faster using the right technologies that are fit for your purpose.
The four pillars of a modern serverless application
fourTheorem’s founders are leaders in microservices and serverless. We have published books and papers on these subjects and we have successful deployments under our belt.
What does this mean for you?
- Microservices means building your system from separate components that can be created and deployed independently.
- Microservices are now an established best practice. Done right, they give you faster development time, improved quality and vastly increased stability for your users.
- Serverless is the future of software. You build and deploy small, manageable components without thinking about servers or infrastructure.
- Serverless also means using managed services for things like user accounts, storage and analytics – the parts of your system that are not unique to your core business. This decreases cost significantly and gets you where you want to be much faster.
Continuous Integration & Deployment (CI/CD)
CI/CD is about automating every step in the build, test and deployment of your system. fourTheorem deliver on this practice for all our projects. Why is this an essential part of modern application development?
- Every time you commit completed code for a new feature, that code arrives in your production system without manual intervention.
- We avoid the risk posed by manual steps and inevitable human error.
- Automated deployment ensure much faster delivery.
- Test automation gives you an assurance around quality.
- CI/CD done right ensures an end to crippling instability and constant firefighting.
The concept of DevOps means breaking down the barriers between development and operations, deployment and operations. It allows the full team to take ownership of a feature from concept to running in production. You move faster by removing the communication bottlenecks. DevOps done right means using Infrastructure as Code. What does that look like for you?
- All of your cloud infrastructure is written in code instead of using individual, manual steps. All parts of your system, not just the software, are deployed using an automated process.
- You have full visibility on every single change to your entire system.
- When required, you can rebuild your entire system with the press of a button.
- You get a system that is predictable, repeatable and testable.
We are not just about getting your system into production fast. Observability is about everything that happens afterwards. After all, that’s the most important part, when you are delivering value to your end users. Observability is the practice of ensuring you build software in a way that gives you full insight on what is happening when it runs.
- You want to detect issues before your users do.
- Insights from your production system allow you to constantly improve production quality and performance
- The right metrics are easily available, giving you a deep understanding of what your users are experiencing
Whilst Serverless is much more than just Function as a Service (FaaS), AWS Lambda is the key capability underpinning modern application stacks.
At fourTheorem, we are experienced with using Lambda not only as a means of rapidly building Serverless Microservice platforms, but also as a tool for solving a multitude of use cases. For example:
- Integration with external APIs
- Ingesting and processing IoT sensor data
- Constructing data analysis pipelines
- Management and orchestration of Machine Learning systems
- Integration and extension of legacy compute platforms
- Transformation of monolithic systems to distributed Microservice architectures
- High performance, high scale, real time compute workloads
In a nutshell, the benefits to you are
Faster to Market
fourTheorem’s expertise in modern application development allows you to take ownership of services and make updates quicker.
Fully automated continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) lets you go way faster without the risk.
Innovation at Speed
Modular architecture reduces the risk of change in any individual service. Reduced maintenance = more time to experiment.
Pay-for-value pricing of serverless services can dramatically reduce running and maintenance costs, as well as undifferentiated work.
Blog & News
The future is always changing. We'll keep you there.
Check out our latest observations and insights into where it’s all going.